Sunday, October 27, 2013

Prop Design - Visual Development

The 4th installment to my Vis Dev class. This time were assigned to create a prop that would assist in certain situations that we could choose from a list. here is what was offered:

Choose one from the six different situations and design a prop best suited to solve the specific problem.
(A) I need to get through to the other side of this hallway. The only problem is that there is radiation on one side and the other side is underwater.

(B) How can I find out more information about this place? I know that nobody here speaks my language. It just had to start raining to...

(C) Oh no! I have to get this stuff to the top of that point over there.The problem is that there are things in the sky trying to get me.

(D) It is the opening night of a Hit broadway show. Multiple set props have turned up missing. Your team has 6 hours to recreate/substitute the props in the love scene between the two main characters.

(E) Your farms main water source has malfunctioned. Find an alternate way to collect water or this years crops will fail.

(F) Create two unique modes of transportation from everyday junk that might be found in a junkyard or landfill. 

I decided to run with option A. My idea for the prop would be a platform unit that could be designed for a video game. The platform would allow the hero to transform his physical body to suit each problem as long as he had the proper materials he collected from a Boss or minion. So for instance he had to go to the underwater part of the room, defeat the Big Bad Fish Boss and use the items he give you to transform into a being that could breathe underwater.

Here are my first sketches:

My teacher decided that I should continue with the middle one, but to add more to it so here are my next   variations for the prop, to make it more stationary and much like a platform:

Next I was given the choice to choose so I picked the bottom one, after making my choice I was asked to turnaround the prop so we could see better inside it and follow up with my color studies:

The top color study was most favored so I worked on the Final:

A bit monochromatic but I was pleased with the overall design, I had to redesign the top part of how the prop worked so its a bit cleaner. Can't wait to post the next one for you all. Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment