Monday, March 25, 2013

Vedoril Character Design

Hello everyone today's post is about a character design I did. I present to you Vedoril the Hunter a demigod in my world I work on and again. 



This was very fun for me to do because I got to try out a bunch of new things and this is kind of my first character sheet ever. I found some things challenging but  was able to push past them and it came out better than i thought. (hand hurt after though)


First I started out small and did several little sketches as to what this demigod may look like. Then moved on to a general design of what I wanted along with head studies armor and weapons, etc.


Scanning the sketches then applying them to photoshop i laid out the ones i wanted and moved to value  studies. i had some trouble later on the layout, It felt too squished so I moved to this...


I felt I had a better deign flow here and more space to add more stuff within reason. I then worked on color studies and that's when my road blocks started happening. I couldn't decide on what color best suited him so I had to look up hawk pictures and try different color schemes and I got three that might be suitable for Vedoril. 


Then I moved on to the weapons and his shoulder pads. These were one of most fun things to paint in photoshop and learned a useful technique in painting armor and metal fittings. By simply using the lasso tool I created a simple shape then used the gradient tool to provide a nice way to reflect the metal. After that is was just a simple changes using the round brush to define some hard edges.


Finally I worked on the demigod himself. His final design ended me combining all the color schemes and changing his armor a little bit such the collar part instead of the armor piece jutting up. I used the same technique on his armor as I did with the shoulders and bow and used simple strokes here and there for his clothes.


I did have trouble with his arms and deciding skin tones. I'm a little iffy right now about them so I might do a revision later on this character. Overall this was a lot of fun to do and will defiantly be doing more!
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed! I like the one with the red tones it makes him more ominious. Keep it up, an imagination should never be wasted.
    Paula Lee

    ReplyDelete